Our History

The West Australian Foundation for Deaf Children (Inc) is one of the State’s oldest charities. It was established in 1896 to improve the lives and education of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children in Western Australia. In its infancy, the Foundation was the only facility catering to the education of Deaf children anywhere in the State.

The Department of Education assumed responsibility for the schooling of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children in the 1950’s and the Foundation’s focus changed to enhancing the educational opportunities of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children through advocacy and the provision of practical support, assistance and hostel accommodation. We continue to strive to respond to the learning and educational needs of families in Western  Australia.